Monday, August 31, 2009

Ha venido Santa Rosa

For those of you who don't speak Spanish, the title of this post says "Santa Rosa has come". Santa Rosa is the name porteños have given to an annual weather front that comes through around the end of winter. Every year towards the end of august it gets really hot, it was in the 80s this weekend. Then around August 31 (Día de Santa Rosa) it starts to rain and get really cold and windy. It was pouring rain and cold when I walked from the subway to class this morning but then it cleared up and really wasn't that bad. Argentines are very superstitious though and many people won't ride the buses today because they are sure they will crash (as far as I know none did...) I took advantage of this superstition and had a very non-crowded bus ride during rush hour when it would normally be packed. 
This weekend I enjoyed the brief warm weather by going to the park by my house at least once a day. I went with the intentions of doing homework each time but mostly I just people watch. I love going there because it is always packed with people, soccer games, and random street vendors and performers. On saturday when I was there I heard drums so I went to investigate. I found this drum line performing and there was a fitness center there leading a giant coordinated dance work-out with like 100 people participating. It was so cool to watch. 
Saturday night I went to the youth service at the church I've been going to. I ended up going by myself because the other girls I usually go with were busy. It was so great to get to meet many people my own age there and I went out to eat with about 20 of them afterwards. Despite having to answer the same questions many many times, I had a great time hanging out with them and hopefully made some porteño friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment